Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

3DWithUs

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Useless Box project

Featured Replies

I’ve been into 3D printing for a few years now, and I’ve picked up a decent amount of 3D modeling along the way. I’ve also dabbled in coding, but I’ve never really had a project that forced me to put all of those skills together. So I decided to build something completely unnecessary: a Useless Box. 😂 The idea is pretty simple—a box with a switch that, when you turn it on, has a motorized mechanism come out and turn the switch back off. It serves absolutely no useful purpose, which honestly makes it the perfect project.

What makes it interesting to me is that it gives me a way to dip my foot into programming without jumping straight into something overwhelming. I get to combine the 3D modeling and printing skills I already have with learning how to program a microcontroller, control a servo motor, read a switch, deal with timing, and eventually make the thing actually behave intelligently. Instead of just writing code that prints something on a screen, I get to write code that physically makes something happen in the real world. I think that makes it a pretty good way to break the ice with coding, electronics, motors, and all the little problems that come with making hardware and software work together.

The plan is to start simple, get the basic version working, and then keep improving it. I don't want it to do the exact same thing every time I flip the switch, so I'm already planning different random behaviors and reactions. Then I'll keep adding things as I learn—better mechanisms, more servos, lights, sounds, sensors, different movements, and whatever other ridiculous ideas I come up with. The ultimate goal is to take a simple box whose entire purpose is to turn a switch off and progressively turn it into a completely over-engineered monstrosity that requires an unreasonable amount of engineering to accomplish absolutely nothing. And that's exactly why I think it's going to be a fun project. 😂

I am just getting started and I have never really posted anything I do online, then I found this site and thought WTH. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please be gentle I'm not an expert at any of this.

Uselessboxrender.png

Screenshot 2026-09-29 234446.png

Great project! These “useless boxes” are always fun, especially when you start adding more movements and random behavior. I’ve seen a few versions online before where, instead of just an arm coming out, a little creature actually crawls out of the box, gets annoyed and switches the switch OFF. 😂 There is definitely plenty of room to make your own version unique.

One small recommendation: if you’re planning to participate in our monthly filament giveaway, I’d suggest changing your username from Award0586 to something a little more personal or recognizable. Generic-looking usernames can sometimes be mistaken for automated or promotional accounts. 🙂

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Topics

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.